Can you solve the green dot square logic puzzle?




Many others found the correct answer (11), but no one seemed 100% certain there were not more squares to find. Because this is such a small puzzle, I decided to use a brute force approach to prove it.
I found all (12 choose 4) = 495 possible ways of choosing four different dots. Then, for each quadrilateral, I counted the total number of unique side lengths. If that count was one (all sides equal), it might be a square.
Sure enough, there were only 11 such squares.
This is a screenshot of the NodeBox program I wrote to show the solutions:
Bob Durrant
I also see 11. Here’s an example of what each looks like - there are 2 like the large red square, 4 like the medium yellow square, and 5 like the small blue square.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog